Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Momma' s Lentil Soup

It's getting cold in New England, thus the perfect time to make tonight's dinner.
Momma's Lentil Soup.
If I'm honest my first attempt at this soup, which my Mom makes to perfection, was a huge FAIL. But, in true winner's fashion, I am going to try, try again.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery (I omit these because they sick me out), chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Salt and Pepper
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 pound of lentils
11 cups of chicken broth
2/3 cup elbow pasta
1 cup of grated Parmesan
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots, and celery. Add the garlic, salt and pepper and saute until all the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes with their juices. Simmer about 8 minutes. Add the lentils and mix to coat. Add the broth and stir. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover and simmer over low heat until the lentils are almost tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in the pasta and simmer for another 8 minutes. Sprinkle with Parm and serve.
I happened to look up Lentil Soup on the Food Network website and except for a sprig of thyme, this is Giada's exact recipe too. Hmmmm......Either Momma is a cooking phenom or she is rather handy with a computer. I will go with the former for Momma's sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment