Friday, August 27, 2010

Roma!

Roma, Day Five.

My favorite day of the trip. We ran around trying to fit everything in, but also managed to get some good grub, a couple of beers and of course some gelato.

First up, St. Peters Square. As we walked up they were finishing up mass and I got chills.

The detail of the saints on St. Peters Basilica.


After we took it all in, it was only natural to go get some food. A cannoli and cappuccino to be exact. The hubs got a piece of pizza and beer.

At an outdoor cafe in Rome. Pretty perfect day.


After we refueled it was time for some more site seeing. We tried to fit as much as we could in one day which meant we didn't stay at one place very long. My next trip, I would like to take my time and take some tours but this was a good cliff notes day of Rome.

After I purchase my 'Rome Hat', we went to see ...

The Spanish Steps

The Trevi Fountain

Where we made a wish

A whole 2 hours passed which meant it was time for more food...
Pasta Pomadoro for lunch and then it was time for Rome's best Gelato.

Everyone else must have got this memo too. You have to pay first at the counter by the front door and then hope one of the gelato men will pick your ticket so you can then quickly scan the 2000 flavors and tell him what you would like. If you don't tell him quick enough, he raises his eyebrows and bangs his scoop, this is the italian gelato version of the soup nazi. Being the word's worst and longest decision maker, when it was my turn I frantically scanned the flavors and ended up ordering Oreo. Not my best decision, it was so rich I had to throw it out after only a few bites. I'm sure the bread, pasta, and wine in my stomach had nothing to do with it.

The hubs with his zabaglione gelato which tasted like it had a bottle of liquor in it.

The Pantheon


Piazza Venezia


Trajan's Market
(Thought to be the world's oldest shopping mall)


The Roman Forum

Another pit stop, for some beer.

And finally, the Colosseum.




It was a hot long day, but worth every minute of trekking around the city. Amazing history and delicious food. I can't wait to go back!

No comments:

Post a Comment